28. september 2013

Knitted on the edge


Last year I bought a knitting book with lost of different edgings, knitting on the edge, by Nicky Epstein. This lace was started then, trying out one of the edgings And finally turned into a little cowl by adding some stripes and ribbing. Gifted to a little niece. 


And how about the book?
There are lots of nice edgings, many of them are not just edgings, so it can be used as a stitch dictionnary also. The lay out and photos are beautiful, and there are some patterns too, one for each chapter, using one of the edgings in a garment. 

What I didn't think of when I bought it, but that I missed when I started knitting from it, are charts. There are no charts, and for me, who much prefer charts to written instructions, that's a drawback. I would also have liked more edgings knitted topdown, so you can easily add them to an existing garment, or use them in top down constructions. 

But exept from these two things, it's a very nice resource. 


17. september 2013

Sock yarn tunic - a 2 year work in progress


I promised myself to finish a few projects before starting Colorcraving, Stephen West's mystery shawl. I have finished a pink shawl, a toddler's cowl, and last, but definitely not the least, this sock yarn tunic that I started in May 2011. 

The neckline and the raglan shaping is from a sweater pattern, Elphaba.


The two first flower patterns are from Pinneguri's Latvian Garden Blanket
The third flower pattern is form my Blomekrans Vest.
The lace at the bottom is from Kirsten Kapurs Cladonia Shawl.


Here I am, wearing the tunic and knitting the first clue of the Mystery Shawl!


6. september 2013

Pretty in pink

Ta dah, one UFO less!



PatternAestlight Shawl by Gudrun Johnston
Needles: US 6 - 4.0 mm
Yarn: Handdyed Ístex Loðband Einband / Icelandic Laceweight (gift from Knitting Iceland after they published my Toasty, Twisty, Tweedy cowl)
When: Started April 2012, finished September 2013
Modifications; When I picked this shawl up again after a year or so, I had almost finished the Bird's Eye Lace border. And I was to lazy to figure out once again how to do it, so I decided it was enough. I also was too lazy to do the original edging. which is really nice, btw, so I did a few rows of garter stitch, and then did a picot cast off.

Related Posts with Thumbnails